The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving.
Randy Alcorn. Sisters, Oregon: Multnomah, 2017. 144 pages, hardcover.
- “We may try to divorce our faith and finances, but God sees them as inseparable.” (p. 3)
- “You can’t take it with you—but you can send it on ahead.” (p. 12)
The Treasure Principle teaches six keys to discovering the priceless treasure of the joy of generosity. Though a small-format book, the author includes a surprising amount Scripture and practical life application. It has a very readable style that blends biblical instruction with rich illustrations, both biblical, personal, and historical. Readers of all levels will be able to comprehend and benefit from it. A bonus section includes FAQs and a giving covenant. The 6 Treasure Principle Keys:
- God owns everything. I’m His money manager.
- My heart always goes where I put God’s money.
- Heaven, not earth, is my home.
- I should live not for the dot but for the line.
- Giving is the only antidote to materialism.
- God prospers me not to raise my standard of living, but to raise my standard of giving.
Application—could be useful for:
- Individual reading and growth in giving
- Read together as a congregation
- Counseling resource to help those struggling with finances
- Small group study (there is a separate 13-week study guide available)
- Sermon series
Recommended by Howard Dayton, Hugh MacLellan, John Piper
Helpful downloads, including children and youth study guides, are available for free at www.epm.org.