Too often churches assume that it takes a lot of money to be a church-planting church. The reality is that any church, no matter the size, the age, or the socioeconomic level, can be involved in some way in church planting. Some sponsoring opportunities involve:
When we have little to no financial resources to contribute:
- Prayer: A church can join a planter’s intercessory prayer team.
- Encouragement: A sponsor church can offer encouragement to the planter and his family by writing notes of encouragement, by providing support during difficult times, by having them over for a meal, etc.
- Legitimacy: Since a new church is required to have an official primary sponsor church, sometimes a church with limited financial resources can serve as the legitimizing spokesperson for a qualified church planter.
- Space: Many sponsor churches can offer meeting room in their facilities, especially for a new ethnic church start.
- Material Resources: Sometimes a sponsor church can offer a one-time gift of Bibles, discipleship literature, sound equipment, chairs, etc.
Options when some regular monetary support can be provided:
- Sole sponsorship: One church takes on full responsibility for planting a new church. No help is needed or sought from other churches or denominational entities.
- Sole sponsorship with partners: One church takes on the primary responsibility for planting a new church but also seeks financial assistance from denominational partners.
- Multiple sponsorship: Several churches in a particular area join efforts as a cluster to plant new churches. They share financial support at varying levels. This option may or may not involve denominational partners.
- Networking: Several churches spread across the state may agree to join efforts to plant churches in strategic areas. Again, they share financial support with or without denominational partners.
- Adoption: A church may choose to join an existing sponsorship arrangement by financially supporting a new church already in progress.
- Church Planting Center: In a few instances, a church or network of churches may want to establish a center for church planter discovery, development, and deployment.
There’s no right or wrong way to get involved in church planting. Jump in as God leads your congregation. Contact us about church plants that are in need of partners.