This past week on January 11, 2021, Brotherhood Mutual Insurance Company, GuideStone Financial Services and Louisiana Baptists hosted a webcast on Religious Freedom During COVID-19 and Beyond.
The Brotherhood Mutual webcast panel included: Michael Allison, Vice President and Chief Counsel’ Steve Case, Assistant Vice President and Senior Corporate Counsel; and Kyle Johnson, Senior Corporate Attorney.
The past few years, particularly 2020, have brought dramatic changes to our nation, and our churches. It looks like 2021 will also be a challenging year.
The webcast covered the following areas of concern for churches:
- Emerging Religious Freedom Issues for Churches and Ministries
- How can a Ministry Protect its Religious Beliefs Against Legal Threats?
- How can a Ministry Align its Facility Use with its Sincerely Held Beliefs?
- How can a Ministry Address Employment Issues Related to Morals and Values?
- What should Ministry Leaders Know About Gender Identity Issues?
- How Concerned Should ministries be about Governmental Actions and Challenges?
- If a Ministry is sued for Standing up for its Beliefs, will Insurance Coverage be available?
These are issues every church and ministry needs to address with their insurance provider, church by-laws, employee handbook, code of conduct, and other documents.
If you missed the webcast or would like to watch the 1½ hour presentation you may do so here.
Brotherhood Mutual has also provided an excellent and free pdf resource entitled, “Religious Freedom Protection: Shepherding Ministries in a Time of Change,” that is also available to download.
There are also many other free resources for churches and ministries at: www.brotherhoodmutual.com and LouisianaBaptists.org/about/directory/evangelism-church-growth/adults/church-administration.
If you have additional questions, please contact Jeff Ingram, at Jeff.Ingram@LouisianaBaptists.org or 318.449.4295.