The Greater Lafayette area has been called Acadiana due to the influence of French Cajun culture. In 1965, a flag was even issued to give identity to the area & people. Beautiful area, beautiful people. And a great opportunity for evangelism for would be church planters & partners. Here’s some quick missiological data:
- Population of Acadiana (Acadia, Evangeline, Gulf Coast, Bayou Associations): 675,207
- Only 1.8% attend a SBC church
- Evangelical population only 9%
- 229,049 unaffiliated with any church (they’re not all Catholic)
- Population of Evangeline Association (Lafayette area) – 404,977
- Only .9% of the population or 3,806 attend Bible Study in a SBC church.
- Only 1.6% or 6,649 attend Worship in a SBC church.
- 46 SBC churches – 1 church to every 8,803 persons. Our goal is 1 to 2,850. NAMB suggests 1 to 2,000.
- Lafayette Parish population: 221,578. 20 SBC Churches. Church to Population Ratio: 1/11,079.
Planters, Partners needed.
Current Louisiana Baptists Planters along I-20:
Stuart Amidon – Christ Church – Opelousas
Louis Charrier – New Life Oppelousas
Ernest Davis – Olivet Christian Fellowship – Lafayette
Kent Duhon – Freedom Biker Church – Lafayette
Scott Guillory – Christ Church – Abbeville
Darrell Guy – Unity 1 Baptist Church –Franklin
Melvin Mendoza – El Revuevo Lafayette & Iglesia Nueva Vida –New Iberia
Luis Romero – Iglesia Nueva Vida – Abbeville & Mowata
Aaron Shamp – Redeemer City Church – Lafayette
Dennis Smith – Berean Baptist – Crowley
The Evangeline Baptist Association Director of Missions is David Carlton. Dr. Carlton spent 18 years serving in Africa with the International Mission Board. We are looking forward to working with him and his staff to reach Acadiana. Check them out online HERE.
Other Acadiana Director of Missions:
- Alan Knuckles, Acadia-Louisiana-Mt. Olive Association. Alan’ associations bleed over into Acadiana & Central Louisiana. Several communities in his area with no evangelical churches. Prayers, planters, partners needed.
- Steven Kelly, Gulf Coast Baptist Association (Morgan City area). Gulf-Coast is a brand new solo association.